Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Child Visas

To apply for this visa children usually be under 18 years old and being sponsored by an eligible Australian relative.  There’re three different Child Visas;

Dependent Child Visa (subclass 101 or 802)

This visa is for dependent a child to an Australian sponsor. To be eligible for this visa the dependent child must be a fulltime student and financially dependent on a parent both at the time of the application is lodged and a decision is made on the application.  This visa can be lodged in (onshore) or outside Australia (offshore).  If the dependent child is aged 18 years or over but under 23 years old, the child must never have had a spouse or a de factor partner.

Adoption Visa (subclass 102)

This visa is for a child  adopted outside Australia by an Australian sponsor.   The child must be under 18 years of age at the time of the visa application is lodged.  This visa can only be lodged outside Australia (offshore).  In Australia, State and Territory Governments are responsible for the processing of intercountry adoptions.

For a intercountry adoption to proceed, sponsoring parents should first get the authorisation of a State or Territory Government.  Once the approval is ready you can approach the nominated country and obtain the foreign government’s authorisation.  Once this process is completed the application for an adoption visa application be proceed. The procedure outlined above can be waived if the Australian sponsor has resided outside Australia for more than 12months before the child’s visa application is lodged.

Orphan Relative (subclass 117 or 837)

This visa is for an orphan child who has no parents to care for them because both of their parents are either deceased, permanently incapacitated or is of unknown whereabouts.  They must also be sponsored by an eligible Australian relative such as a brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or that relative’s current cohabiting spouse or de facto partner.  The eligible Australian relative must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or and eligible New Zealand residence who is 18 years or over.  This visa can be lodged in (onshore) or outside Australia (offshore).  The orphan child must not have a spouse or de facto partner.